It does answer the question, Terry, but let me take this a step further. Do you think it is possible that this pastor never really believed in the first place? Perhaps he just reached the point where he became honest about his unbelief. I have a hard time imagining that those who truly believe would ever turn away, or to put it another way, that God could not retiain those whom the Holy Spirit has drawn to Him.

Perry

From: Terry Clifton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Christian Perfection
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 12:47:19 -0500

Charles Perry Locke wrote:

Terry, do you believe that one who is saved can lose that salvation?

Perry

Wow! That seems like such a simple question, but it would take pages to give you a complete answer. Put simply, I do not believe that you can lose your salvation...................................but,................................... I believe that you can throw it away.
The Bible teaches that the same one who saved you is able to keep you, but it does not say that He will force you to stay against your will. I offer as an example a pastor, who a few years back, resigned as minister of his church. The reason he gave was that he no longer believed what he had been preaching. He was a believer, now he is not. Had he died prior to making his decision to no longer believe, he would have gone to Heaven. Now his future appears to be the lake of fire. I think that this is rare compared to those who at one time claimed or are claiming to be Christians, only to show their true colors after being tested over time, but yes, it does happen, and when it does, I believe that that person is no longer saved. God will not force anyone to spend eternity with Him.
Hope this answers your question at least to some degree.
Terry

Check out MSN PC Safety & Security to help ensure your PC is protected and safe. http://specials.msn.com/msn/security.asp

"Let your speech be always with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought
to answer every man."  (Colossians 4:6) http://www.InnGlory.org