From: Terry Clifton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 20:02:25 -0500
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Mediation of Christ  -- the real vs false

Judy Taylor wrote:

From: "Jonathan Hughes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Judy has made many comments on the link between sin and illness.  I believe her viewpoint to be completely unbiblical and extremely hurtful to those that live with illness regardless of the severity.

jt: I agree Jonathan that sickness is hurtful and so is sin - it is hurtful to us and everyone around us. Judy is not the one making that connection Jonathan.  Believe it or not it is Biblical. There would be no sickness but for sin and God Himself outlines the blessings that come from obedience and the curses that come through disobedience (which are every sickness and plague that can be named) in Deuteronomy 28 and Deuteronomy 29. Just because noone wants to accept this or talk about it today does not make it invalid.
For what it's worth guys, you both have valid points.  There was no sickness until there was sin.  Put another way, sickness entered the picture because sin entered the picture.  Sickness is plainly one of the penalties for sin.  Having siad that, let me point out that not all sick people are sick because they are being punished for their sin.  Some are.  Some ain't.  The man or woman with AIDS quite possibly got it in the process of sinning, but the baby born with aids got it because a parent sinned..  Miriam was stricken with leprosy  for one reason.  The blind man in John 9:3 was born blind for a totally different reason, so that God could be glorified when he was healed.  Drunks destroy their liver through continual sin, but a lot of godly people get catarracts through no fault of their own.  I am certain that Judy did not mean to imply that Jonathan was ill because of his sin, but because all illness came into being because we are all sinners, or in David Millers case, WERE sinners :-) .
Terry