In a message dated 7/28/2004 6:03:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Having said that, I think you may have unwittingly put God in a box by assuming that He always wants His followers (or his animals) in continual close contact.   Abraham was a nomad, not a member of a community.  Moses ,as I recall, spent a few years alone, as did Elijah, John, the Baptist, and Paul.  Though I don't have much right to put myself in this crowd, I try to spend time alone every day, just to keep my priorities straight and do some thinking on my own.
Just as God made geese to be in flocks, He made tigers to be loners.  You may see a herd of deer, but never a herd of skunks.  Fellowship is important, but uninterrupted fellowship can be a drag.  Jesus often went alone to the wilderness.  I assume that was to get away from the crowd, and have fellowship with God.  Something we all need to do from time to time.
Just a thought.
Terry

I agree with your comments above.  What I see in the thinking I shared is a case for the necessity of community.  All interpretive conclusions have problems, I think.  That is why we have some many opinions floating around on TT.  Eph 5:18-20 presents the idea that Spirit filling is an aspect of community, "Be you filled with the Spirit as you address one another in song  ..." is a Smithson translation (in part) of that text.

Among other considerations, the presentation gives added weight to church involvement, something my wife and I have been a little lax in.  The community of believers bears the image of God  and, therefore, in that community we would expect to see real benefit.  Because community does or should bear the image of God, when that fellowship moves from God, seeks secular solutions and the like, it becomes less than what it could be.

I did not mean to imply a one dimensional concept relating God to man.   I will take a look at the post with that issue in mind.

Thanks Terry
John