Izzy in blue:

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jonathan Hughes
Sent: Monday, January 03, 2005 7:33 PM
To: TruthTalk@mail.innglory.org
Subject: RE: [TruthTalk] Why the Eternal Sonship of Christ Matters to Me

Hi Izzy,

The reason I have not replied to you was because of what you said at the end of your first request to me on why my belief in the ‘eternal sonship’ matters.  I will quote the ending:

How has it made you a better person?  (I can’t imagine.)

The sarcastic nature of the ‘I can’t imagine part’ is what kept me from replying.  I was NOT being sarcastic, Jonathan.  I was saying I cannot see how all this gnat-straining could affect your (or anyone’s) walk with the Lord.  Why do you consider that to be sarcastic?

You see there is no doctrine that makes us more godly.  Your own beliefs have not made you mode godly.  God Himself makes us more godly.  A clearer understanding of doctrines can help us repent of our false beliefs and move closer to the God that works within us.  Which would result in being more godly—it seems you have just contradicted yourself.

 Faith always seeks understanding.  Having correct beliefs aids the relationship as it moves from falsehood to truth.  Note beliefs do help people become more moralistic but I don’t think you want to go down that road again  I said “more godly” not “more moralistic”. J

There is a problem with email forums in that most people act like jerks (both of us included).  Please speak for yourself.  If we had a godly scale for TT none of us would be higher than a 3.  Now if we had a godly scale for how we participate outside the forum our godly scale would be much higher.  Not necessarily.  We are either walking in the Spirit or the flesh.  The fact that you think other act like “jerks” may indicate your attitude more than their actually being a jerk.  (See your allegation of my “sarcasm” above”.)

My post was entitled why the eternal sonship matters to me, not why it has made me a better person.  If you read my post you would notice that I do not detach the sonship of Christ from His Person, or who God is inherently in His Being.  Does having a proper view of the Trinity make me a better father, husband, and friend? I have no problem believing in the existence of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit throughout eternity, from everlasting to everlasting.  I just don’t know why you are so gung ho about whatever your “Eternal Son” issues are.  Whether Jesus had the same human physical body prior to His birth on earth is not something I worry about, let alone obsess about.  Neither do I lie awake at night trying to figure out which came first the chicken or the egg, etc.  To some I have no intellectual curiosity.  I like to think that I am content in Him, and trust Him to continue to reveal Himself to me as He desires.  I don’t strive.  I bask.  (Cats do that, you know. J )

 I hope so but just like Moses was not aware that his face was shining after spending time on the mountain with God we are not aware of our own godliness aside from when others point it out to us.  I have known many a godly person who held many differing views as you have, so how did they arrive w/o them?  Perhaps God’s grace is working in your life irregardless of your “orthodox” Trinity views?

I can tell you that my wife believes that what I hold to be true about God cements our relationship with each other and our son and allows me to live in grace much more than I used to.  That’s a good testimony, coming from your wife. I acknowledge that God has a long way to go with me.  Thankfully He is patient.

Regarding the Roman Catholic church.  There is a reason I use the words church catholic instead of catholic church.  I didn’t notice that you put it that way. One is the universal body of believers.  It is them that hold to the patristic views of our faith.  However, in your attempts to disassociate yourself from the RCC, I would suggest that you have very few beliefs that are not shared by our Roman Catholic brethren.  Grab your statement of faith from your church See www.ShieldsFamily.com  and click on “Our Faith” for our church’s (and family’s) statement of faith.  and compare it to the latest catechism of the RCC.  You will be surprised at how close they are on the integral beliefs.  I think not.  I’ve read enough of their catechism to think not. (Such as Mary is the “Mediatrix” between God and man???)  Jonathan are you RCC? Or Episcopalian? (Forgive me if you have already told us this.)

Orthodoxy is defined by the ancient creeds.  The basic ones are the Apostles Creed and the Nicene Creed although there are many others.  It is to these creeds that the church catholic has constantly appealed to as orthodoxy.  David is correct in asserting that there was much conflict in the creation of these creeds.  Conflict follows any who attempt to identify with the God of scripture.  In my belief system it is only God who determines what is “orthodox”, not the traditions of men huddled in a room.  The creeds are good attempts at hashing it all out, but are not scripture. But thanks for the kind reply.  Izzy

Jonathan

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---