In a message dated 3/19/2005 6:02:44 AM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Lamentations 3:22 Because of the LORD's great love we're not consumed, for his compassions never fail. Jeremiah wrote this while he and Israel were suffering judgment and wrath. Yes, in the midst of wrath, Jeremiah still knew God is love because His wrath is an _expression_ of love. It is love thwarted by rebellion.

Jeremiah was the prophet and these are God's Covenant ppl. in spite of the fact that they have broken the covenant they have with Him. Even Moses himself was not sacrosant.  God tried to kill him on the way to Egypt because he had also broken covenant by not circumcising his son. His Midianite wife Zipporah had to get him straight (see Genesis 17:14; Exodus 4:25,26).  Yes God is love but there is another side to his nature and character that we ignore to our own peril.

This is where the argument for the wrath of God fails (and I use "wrath" in DM/Judy Taylor mode).   Judy admits that Caroline is right, but insists that the passage only applies to the covenant people of God (historical Israel).
The failure is seen in the thgological fact that we, the "New Covenant" people of God are the Israel of God, as well.     God would punish Israel of old  --  for hundreds of years, but His ultimate concern for His people was always present and the Divine Relief that followed every period of bondage is proof of that.   His love is not only the continuing circumstance, but that which gives context to such things as "wrath" and "punishment."   Anyone can be a judge  ................   only God can accomplish His caring purpose (for the redeemed) in the passing of judgment.

JD