----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2005 12:42 PM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] God's Hate and God's Wrath

Hi Judy;

Of all the English words the KJV translator could have used for the Hebrew word, he picked the wrong one. I'll put in the better word in red in the post below. Sorry to those who are not reading in "rich text"

jt: Caroline if you are going to correct Isaiah 45:7 then you will need to correct a lot of the other Prophets & Patriarchs also for eg:
Job - "thou speakest as one of the foolish women. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God and shall we not receive evil (trouble) ? Job 2:10
Job - "his brethren, sisters & aquaintances bemoaned him and comforted him over all the evil (trouble)that the Lord had brought upon him Job 42:11
Moses - "behold I set before you this day a blessing and a curse" Deuteronomy 11:26 (the curse is evil) Curses are bad things for sure but Moses was outlining for them natural consequences of obeying (blessing) or disobeying (curses)
Moses - "See I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil (destruction) " Deuteronomy 30:15
Amos - "thence will I command the sword, and it shall slay them; and I will set mine eyes upon them for evil, and not for good" Amos 9:4b Ok, you get this one. "evil" meaning bad things was going to happen to them but not that God is evil or creates evil.
Jeremiah - "Therefore thus saith the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold I will set my face against you for evil (I am determined to bring disaster on you), and to cut off all Judah" Jer 44:11
Jonah - "God saw their works that they turned from their evil way and God repented of the evil (he had compassion and did not bring upon them the destruction he had threatened) that he had said that he would do unto them and he did it not" Jonah 3:10.

God is not evil. He does not create evil. He can not do evil.

I'm not an expert of Hebrew but the people who gave us the modern translations are. KJV is great considering it was written in the early 1600s. The group of men (more than 50) were the best scholars England had at that time and they were commisioned to make the best english bible possible because the other English bibles available at that time were flawed. The KJV was revised a few times after it's completion in 1611 and it was THE English bible for centuries. A need for a new one arose when we discovered older Greek bibles. We also have better ancient Greek and Hebrew knowledge than the scholars working in 1600s. Some words didn't mean what they thought it meant! The NKJV (1979-82)takes into account both the earlier texts and the translators greater knowledge of Greek and Hebrew.

Judy, the bible is invaluable because it tells us about God and people's encounters with Him. It is not God. The Trinity is not Father, Son and Holy Bible. It's okay to look at other versions and see how other translators rendered the phrase. Inerrancy refers only to the autographs, the original writing. It is very possible for translations to contain errors. Even the KJV was revised a couple of times before the really big revision that turned it into the NKJV.

Love,

Caroline