Judy Taylor wrote:
Not as I like it - but what Jesus says about it.  He's either the Truth or He isn't.  Sadly it appears His Words don't carry much weight these days in some circles.  As for DavH's observation - why would you think that these are Christian ppl Dave?
DAVEH:  First, I think a lot of them purport to be such.  And Judy....they do meet the dictionary definition.  Furthermore, who else would believe in such a place, and then wish somebody would end up there because they believe or do something perceived to be contrary to God's will?
Jesus told the 'sons of thunder' who wanted to call down fire on some Samaritans that "they didn't know what spirit they were of" so what has changed?  Apparently the disciples repented because they continued on with Him.  Ppl who are eager to consign others to hell these days most likely have an anger problem.
DAVEH:  Not to suppose any TTers have exhibited such symptoms......     :-\
  Sharon Rocha told Scott Peterson that the devil wouldn't even have him and one of Laci's siblings said they hoped he would burn in hell.  So far I've seen no indication that this family are Christian
DAVEH:  Where do you think they got the perception of burning in hell if it did not come from Christians?   Are there other  religions (Muslim, Buddhist or whatever) that offer such a belief?   While I concede that there may be some who mimic such quotations out of anger while not actually believing in such a literal place, do you really believe there are no Christians who do not feel that way, and have expressed such verbally?  If you sincerely do not think such, let me know and I'll do some goggling and see if I can't find some Christians who meet that criteria.  Here's one quick example......

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/mail/0205.html

.......of which the very first post reveals the anger of one such avowed Christian.
- so anger and grief over their loss is understandable.
DAVEH:  Agreed.  But is the anger expressed by my above example understandable, Judy?
God is glorified however, when a crime is committed against a 'believer' and they publicly forgive; or as we saw just recently in  Georgia where a young widow apprehended by a rapist who had just killed five ppl was able to stay calm and read passages from The Purpose Driven Life to him because of her faith in Christ; this is the fruit of righteousness.  jt

--
Dave Hansen