John wrote:
> Fair enough.  Monologue is not necessarily
> a bad thing.

You miss my point.  I'm interested in dialogue, not monologue.  Let's try
and work together, think together, rather than attack each other.  I think
you agree with me on this approach.  Let's try and make it happen.

John wrote:
> "Engage ?? !!"

Yes, John, engage.  It is a mutual community kind of thing.

John wrote:
> Absolute truth over there on the desk,  me and
> educational bias, by pathetic childhood, my
> disappointments and the many wonderful experience
> that are a part of me  --   all of that over here.
> Over there verses over here.   I know that "over
> here,"  all of those influences mentioned above make
> it impossible for me to say that my understanding of
> what I read in the Bible rises to the level of infallibility  !!! .

Why, John?  Surely you do not think that the Bible is so complicated that
none of us can possibly understand it.

Let's consider one truth regarding infallibility.  Consider the concept that
Jesus is the Messiah.  You read this in the Bible.  You receive an
understanding of it.  In fact, you receive not just a personal understanding
of it, but something in your heart is triggered and you actually see
something internally, that Jesus is your Lord and your God.  He *IS*
Messiah.  Is this truth not infallible?  Is not your understanding of this
truth infallible?  Can you not declare this truth with all confidence,
putting your very life on the line in regards to its truthfulness?

John wrote:
> Absolute truth over there   -   the conceit
> of the claim of infallibility over here.

>From my perspective, as long as you leave the absolute truth over there and
never incorporate it into yourself, into your Spirit, you are missing the
whole point of what Christ came to do.  The role of the Holy Spirit, of
being baptized in the Holy Spirit, is precisely to move that truth from over
there in that book into your heart.  Rather than it being a collection of
words written with ink on paper, it becomes the Living Word of God living
within your heart.  That truth becomes a part of you.  It becomes
inseparable from you and from who you are.  When this happens, how can it
not affect you in such a way that your understanding on some matters (not
all matters) becomes certain and infallible?

David Miller wrote:
>> You have defined pride as being a confidence
>> in our personal understanding of truth

John interjects:
> that rises to the level of infallibility  (always say this
> when presenting MY opinion on this subject)

Fine, John.  We are talking about a confidence that rises to the level of
infallibility, a confidence that we know that the truth we comprehend cannot
be in error.  We are dealing with the question of whether or not we can KNOW
truth.  The question is, can our understanding be such that we know we are
not wrong about a particular matter, or is our understanding always natural
like that of the scientist, leading us to an understanding that is always
tentative and subject to change?

Am I right in saying that my view is that we can know truth and have an
understanding that rises to the level of infallibility, but your view is
that we can never be 100% certain of truth?