In a message dated 7/27/2005 2:13:51 P.M. Mountain Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
What conclusions do you draw from Joe's involvement with MAGIC?
Blainerb:  I have drawn none, since I am not convinced he was into magic to the extent you would have us all believe. As usual, you have assigned meaning to events that are basically shrouded in mystery--perhaps your conclusions are all wrong in the first place.  There is no proof they have the meanings you ascribe to them.  By the way,  Sampson was promised that as long as his hair was not cut, he would have power against his enemies.  His hair was like a covenant between him and God, and when the covenant was broken, his powers were weakened.  Is this magic?  It could easily be said to be such, especially with guys like you around jumping to conclusions.  :>) Further, JS gave a similar blessing to Orrin Porter Rockwell as was given to Sampson,  and since Orrin never allowed his hair to be cut, he was never killed by his enemies, despite being in numerous gun fights with them.    I think talismans may have been seen in much the same way by Joseph Smith--a covenant with God.  Or maybe he just liked the talisman's artwork.  Who knows?  Not wanting to JUMP to conclusions,  I have drawn none.