>> > I like «Production Step»
>>
>> Given that we're talking about removing route, Production Step is
>> different from existing Route. So I understand you mean to replace
>> "Route Operation" by "Production Step".
>>
>> But I think "Step" is more appropriate if we follow the Process design.
>>
>> The reason is that we intentionally let "Route Operation" have only
>> one (many2one) Resource/Resource Category but allowing several Route
>> Operations point to the same Operation Type (we can find a better name
>> for that).
>>
>> I think Step is a name for a given subprocess in the production. For
>> example, "Mixing" or "Cleaning". But that step can be executed by
>> several resources at the same time. Cleaning requires both Machine and
>> Employee to be allocated simultaneously.
>>
>> So it would sound strange to me to have in a BOM two Steps that just
>> do the same (Cleaning) but that allocate different resources (of
>> course, we can also have a single step and then allow a one2many there
>> with several resources, although we discarded that design because it
>> was more complex, it is what we're proposing witht the process design
>> only adding the products).
>
> A step (maybe named operation) must have a or many list of resources
> because it represents the time the resources are used/reserved.

>> > As it is something that could refer to many different things, I have for
>> > now 2 things: an asset and an employee, we need an abstraction for the
>> > production level.

>> > The important is the concistancy of the all.

>> > The production instructions, you describe target the user/human.
>> > I see not advantage to try to use a schema for it. The best way to
>> > communicate such instructions is with explanation text, just like for a
>> > recipe. More over, the information system will have nothing to do with
>> > such data.
>>
>> I has something to do with that data. Let me put an example:
>> Let's say you create a BOM which outputs 100L of painting. For
>> producing those, among other things you'll need 80L of water. So you
>> would create a BOM with 80L of water on the inputs and 100L of
>> painting on the outputs. The problem is that the production process
>> looks like:
>>
>> Mix 10 minutes 25L of water with 1L dye.
>> Later add 1L of another component and mix for 20 minutes.
>> Then Mix 25 more L of water for 15 minutes.
>> etc.
>>
>> When we create a production of 50 L (instead of 100L as it was
>> described in the BOM), the advantage of using the process approach is
>> that we'll get the proportions of water to be used in each step.
>> Otherwise, how can one create those instructions? If you attach a
>> document (or just put it in a notes field) you completely lose the
>> ability to offer the user those calculations. You need to tell the
>> user put 25% of the water of the BOM in the first step and mix for 10
>> minutes, adding burden and possible mistakes to the user..

> [...]

That really explodes the number of products to manage as you'll need a
different output on each step.

>     - use percentage
>     - use a templating language

I think these two are probably linked (you need to specify a
percentage in the template). I think I'd rather go towards the process
idea but as an extension of the bom + steps in a separate module.

> But I realy think it doesn't deserve a more complex schema than a text
> field.

Ok. I'll update the blueprint with your remarks.

--
Albert Cervera i Areny
Tel. 93 553 18 03