> Thought I would mention that I'm seeing roughly a 2,5x speedup using
> pgbouncer
> over vanilla postgresql socket connections (via tryton.conf) where pg and
> proteus are running on the same iron.

I'm surprised you're see this speedup using pgbouncer on the same machine.
Pgbouncer is just a connection pooler and Tryton already has a connection
pooler itself, so it would be great if you could investigate it further.
Some things that come to mind:

- Tryton is not handling correctly the pool of connections and thus
creating a new connection more frequently than it should
- You used TCP/IP sockets when you worked with PostgreSQL but use UNIX
sockets now that you talk to pgbouncer (so the difference would come from
the type of socket, not pgbouncer itself)
- You changed other parameters in Postgres (or Tryton). For example, you
should usually change the following default postgresql.conf parameters:

  - Increase work_mem -> This is the amount of memory to be used per
connection so you may put one or two hundred megabytes
  - Increase shared_buffers -> Depending on database size, but you may want
1GB, for example (if you've got enough memory, of course)
  - Consider using synchronous_commit = off. -> If you use it in production
I recommend you try to understand its implications (we use it in our
installs)
  - If you run the migration process on a non-production machine you can
use "fsync =off". This can have a huge impact on performance but do NOT use
it in production EVER. But I recommend it for development environments if
you know that no database you use is critical. It will also have a huge
impact when restoring databases.

> Pulling complete moves/lines by period by fiscalyear I'm averaging ~100
> seconds
> per period (roughly 30 minutes per fiscalyear with a rough average of
> 21-22K lines/year)

Don't have numbers to compare, so it's just intuition, but it does not
sound specially fast.