On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 01:30:01PM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> To elaborate, I am thinking along the lines of using Maven or
> Centipede to build company projects (read private-non open source).
> My company wants to reserve the right to brand the default look and
> feel of the Maven install.  That makes it easier as new subprojects
> are built.

Ok, I understand clearly now, thanks for spelling it out in more detail.
I can now provide you with a little more detail on the subject.  It was
the intention of the Maven team to limit the ability to customize the
look and feel (l&f) of a site.  The l&f customizations have been limited
to only color changes.

One of Maven's goals is to promote uniformity and consistency across
Maven-enabled projects.  Developers familiar with one Maven project
should be immediately familiar with another.  This would make it as easy
as possible for developers to start participating on other Maven-enabled
projects.  SourceForge is used as an example to support this argument.
Its very easy for a developer to start contributing to another project
because everything is consistent, i.e. there are no surprises.

Obviously, this decision rubs some people the wrong way.  Unfortunately,
due to an ill-timed email by a maven enthusiast (not a developer) to the
general list, we've been receiving a lot more attention and criticism
regarding this decision.  I say ill-timed simply because Jason is not
here to share his thoughts on Maven.

Its clear that we need to discuss this again; however, for the moment we
have agreed to table the discussion until Jason returns from his
vacation because he is the strongest proponent of it and feels very
strongly about the issue.  If we decide that limiting the customization
of the l&f is not the correct way to proceed, that is fine, but we just
want to give Jason the opportunity to share his thoughts.

Thanks,
Pete