> Here are our issues:

> It sounds crazy but I think the documentation written is  turbine-centric;
> meaning it seems to have been written by someone who is too close to the
> topic.  Several people have read the documentation and still can't explain
> exactly what it is.  I would welcome more description from people who
> are using turbine.

Turbine is a Java servlet based tool, with some integration into other options -
specifically webmacro, which is a templates solution to the designer/coder split of
work - that is, designers generally work in html, producing files that have webmacro
codes in them, which the server side then expands to display to the client.  All the
code/business code will be done in Java, called from Turbine.

Try this link for general info on the design -
http://www.zend.com/zend/art/free-energy.php

> Several of our group members are non-java people.  They write scripts
> in perl for network management, snmp data gathering, as well as
> using the output of programs like mrtg and cricket draw to
> display
> router information on a web page.  Can these tools be integrated with turbine?

I would think not - unless you can access the data from Java - either directly or via
some kind of intermediary, eg a flat file or database.

> Is it for servlets only?  Can a non-java developer produce a
> piece of
> code (e.g. cgi script) written in (c/c++/pyton/perl) and integrate
> it easily within the turbine framework?

I would think not on this too - if you have html designers and java coders, then yes -
but perl/python etc - you might be spending too much time integrating - there might be
something more appropriate for your skills (is their a Turbine in perl?)

Hope this helps,
Chris
---
"surely it is madness to accept life as it is and not as it could be"