I quite like this suggestion to use calculator instead of helloworld. Unlike
helloworld it demonstrates things like assembly, properties and references,
but is still simple enough to be easy to understand. The doc or tutorials
could maybe still start with a helloworld example.

I also tend to agree with Rick's concerns about trying to reuse things may
make the samples harder to understand, could we see and example before going
ahead and changing everything? Also, a while back there was talk of
restructuring the samples so they were grouped by extension type [1], how
would this  reuse fit in with that?

  ...ant

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev%40ws.apache.org/msg06569.html