Hi,

I don't get a formal vote, but as an embedder it is extremely painful
to consume and embed a new level of code when the SPI layer
(that's supposed to insulate embedders) is changing as often as the
underlying kernel implementation.  At the moment, the current
SPI layer might as well be invisible.

I'm not looking for n-1 compatibility in the SPI layer. I'm not
expecting zero changes in the SPI layer over time.  I am
expecting increasing stability over time, which I do not observe,
and have not observed for some time.  The stable branch is helping
in this regard, but I think more will be needed in order to allow
an embedder to pick up the function they need.

In reading over the related email threads from which this spawned, I
would certainly benefit from a decomposition of the kernel as described.
There's lots of good work going on in this project, but not all of it is
applicable when embedding into an existing runtime.  The work on a
distributed SCA Domain is an example. I think it's good for that piece of
work to continue. The kind design that's proposed for this decomposition
will enable the movement of stable new function from the head into the
stable branch. As it is now, the stable branch will have to consume
everything from head and then stabilize it.  That's not a viable model
moving forward.

A decomposition would also enable me to ignore pieces
of function forever, or until it's ready. A clean model definition, which
enables plug replace-able parts of the kernel is exactly what is needed.
It enables the use of the model at various integration points of an existing
runtime. That is, a clean model definition that doesn't change every day.

2 cents from an imbedder.

Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "Meeraj Kunnumpurath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>