I made a quick test, and added a page [1] with some special
characters, and Chinese characters, and it looks like confluence is
handling it OK...

Could you try copying one page again and let's see how it goes ?

[1] http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/TUSCANYWIKI/Test+lresende

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer
http://people.apache.org/~lresende