I'm fine with the proposal. In Tuscany SCA Java, we support many databindings such as JAXB, SDO, XmlBeans and AXIOM. IMHO, SDO is one of the technology choices to represent data in the SOA environment. Removing SDO from the sentence will give us more flexibility. I agree that it doesn't stop us from implementing SDO and supporting SDO in the Tuscany project.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Nash" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] altering the Tuscany "Charter" in relation to SDO Java

See inline.

  Simon

kelvin goodson wrote:
There's been a discussion thread going for a while [1] in the Tuscany
community with regards to shifting the Apache home for SDO Java work to a
new project.  This has been going on in parallel to the discussion on the
incubator general list on establishing a new project, originally aimed to
be tightly scoped to JSR 235  (see [2] to jump into that thread at a
location particularly relevant for this posting).

I'd like to try to move the Tuscany side of the discussion along to some
kind of conclusion. In view of that aim, I'd like to suggest that we take a fresh look at the current state of the wording for the Tuscany "charter", if that's what it's known as, that we arrived at during the graduation vote
[3].

I suggest ....

 ...establish a Project Management Committee charged with the creation
 and maintenance of open-source software for distribution at no charge
to the public, that simplifies the development, deployment and management
 of distributed applications built as compositions of service components.
 These components may be implemented with a range of technologies and
 connected using a variety of communication protocols. This software will
 implement relevant open standards including, but not limited to, the
 SCA standard defined by the OASIS OpenCSA member section, and related
 technologies.

The only edit here is that the current blessed version ends with ...
"but not limited to, the SCA and SDO standards defined by the OASIS OpenCSA
member section"

I urge you to give your attention to this in the near future please; making this alteration would seem to be a necessary, but not sufficient, element
for altering the proposal for the new project.

I would be OK with this change.  It does not in itself imply stopping
SDO development in Tuscany, as SDO is a "related technology" of SCA.
However, it gives Tuscany more flexibility over whether it develops
SDO itself or makes use of an implementation developed elsewhere.

  Simon

Kelvin.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-tuscany-user/200802.mbox/browser