On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Simon Laws <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 25, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Jean-Sebastien Delfino <
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > items

> > > ant elder wrote:
> > > Do you have you heart set on calling this a workspace or are you open
> > > calling it something else like a repository?
> > >

> > I think that they are two different concepts, here are two analogies:
> >
> > - We in Tuscany assemble our distro out of artifacts from multiple Maven
> > repositories.
> >
> > - An application developer (for example using Eclipse) can connect
> > Eclipse workspace to multiple SVN repositories.
> >
> > What I'm looking after here is similar to the above 'distro' or 'Eclipse
> > workspace', basically an assembly of contributions, artifacts of various
> > kinds, that I can load in a 'workspace', resolve, validate and run,
> > different from the repository or repositories that I get the artifacts
> > from.
> > --
> > Jean-Sebastien

> To me repository (in my mind somewhere to store things) describes a much
> less active entity compared to the workspace which has to do a lot of work
> to load and assimilate information from multiple contributions. I'm not sure
> about workspace either but to me it's better than repository and it's not
> domain which has caused us all kinds of problems.
>
> My 2c
>
> Simon

I started looking at step D). Having a rest from URLs :-) In the context of
this thread the node can loose it's connection to the domain and hence the
factory and the node interface slims down. So "Runtime that loads a set of
contributions and a composite" becomes;

create a node
add some contributions (addContribution) and mark a composite for
starting(currently called addToDomainLevelComposite).
start the node
stop the node

You could then recycle (destroy) the node and repeat if required.

This all sound like a suggestion Sebastien made about 5 months ago ;-) I
have started to check in an alternative implementation of the node
(node2-impl). I haven't changed any interfaces yet so I don't break any
existing tests (and the code doesn't run yet!).

Anyhow. I've been looking at the workspace code for parts A and B that has
recently been committed. It would seem to be fairly representative of the
motivating scenario [1].  I don't have detailed question yet but
interestingly it looks like contributions, composites etc are exposed as
HTTP resources. Sebastien, It would be useful to have a summary of you
thoughts on how it is intended to hang together and how these will be used.

I guess these HTTP resource bring a deployment dimension.

Local - Give the node contribution URLs that point to the local file system
from where the node reads the contribution (this is how it has worked to
date)
Remote - Give it contribution URLs that point out to HTTP resource so the
node can read the contributions from where they are stored in the network

Was that the intention?

Simon

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org/msg27362.html