On 2015-12-18 17:22, Alan Gauld wrote:

FWIW My recent book Python Projects includes coverage of
both ttk and Tix as well as core tkinter. But it's only
designed to be a taster, it's not a complete reference.
It's more about the general approach to putting a UI on
an app than about any specific toolkit.

I have it (the book by Laura Cassell and you!)
The first chapter still has me stumbling! (Super, slots and property() were new to me.) Hadn't yet noticed the Tkinter section- thanks for pointing it out to me.

     import tkinter as tk
     from tkinter import ttk

For production code this is better.
And you can swap out Tkinter for Tix by just changing
one line:

import tkinter.tixix as tk   # v3

or

import Tix as tk    # v2

So all  the existing tk code carries on working but
you now have access to the extra widgets in Tix too.

First I've heard of Tix!
Much to learn.

Thanks, Alex