I put together some new Mac builds this evening:

TuxPaint: www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~fuhrer/tuxpaint/tuxpaint-0.9.14-3.macosx.dmg
TuxPaint Stamps Installer: www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~fuhrer/tuxpaint/tuxpaint-stamps-2004.10.03- macosx.dmg

Stamps can now be installed for the current user (in ~/Library/Application Support/TuxPaint), for all users (in /Library/Application Support/TuxPaint), or within the TuxPaint application bundle. These options should keep system admins happy :-)

Menus are back in the TuxPaint build - although the previous quirks with the "About" box persist.

It ran for me. Seemed pretty good, except:

  1. 'Starters' are broken, as you mentioned.  It seems to load the
     foreground as a background, and not load the background at all.
     Any ideas?  Need help debugging?

I'm not having much luck fixing this; my inexperience with SDL isn't helping much either. I notice that in the image loading line:
SDL_BlitSurface(img, NULL, canvas, &dest);

img gets loaded with the foreground image (eg. reef.png) several lines earlier, via the function
img = IMG_Load(fname);

I'm assuming that canvas is the background image (eg. reef-back.png). However, if I make the foreground layer semi-translucent as follows and try to open the reef image:
SDL_SetAlpha(canvas, SDL_SRCALPHA, 140);
SDL_BlitSurface(img, NULL, canvas, &dest);

I get the image posted here: http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~fuhrer/tuxpaint/tuxpaintreef.jpg
I would have expected to see the background image of the reef in canvas showing through, but it's as if the background image hasn't even been loaded. Perhaps this is part of the problem?

2. I didn't mess with any config, and didn't double-check things like language support (esp. stuff needing different fonts, like Greek)

Language support is working, although non-Roman characters are not displayed since foreign fonts are not bundled with the application. I presume users currently need to install foreign fonts manually?

Martin