On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:56 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also realize that "Showtime Comedy Special" does not seem to have the same
> cache as "HBO Comedy Special". I did a quick google but could not find a
> list of either "Showtime" or "HBO" Comedy Specials to confirm what seems to
> me the common impression that HBO is a more elite cable gig. Still, Showtime
> must be better than the Comedy channel (though Pollak used fewer bad words
> than he does on his podcast, and probably could have done it on basic
> cable).

Nice review. Thanks for that.

In the behind-the-scenes of Lewis Black's most recent stand up
special, he explains why the HBO cache of comedy is unique -- and why
his most recent special (and Eddie Izzard's too, for that matter)
wasn't on HBO. HBO will only accept comics who do not have shows on
other networks or movies in production (Black had his "Root of All
Evil" show and Izzard had his FX series). As a result, HBO gets comics
dedicated (at least at that moment in their respective careers) to the
craft of joke telling.

I have a few Showtime comedy specials on DVD and (still) VHS (Tim
Allen's early work, at least one of Richard Jeni's, and Bob Newhart
around the time "Newhart" was on the air doing classic routines from
his early years), but I recall (and it may just be my memory getting
it wrong) that Showtime tended to get people who were over-saturated
in mainstream media.

In listening to Marc Maron's WTF podcast, I have learned that, with
few exceptions, the comics themselves produce their own stand up
specials (or pay to have them produced), then sell the finished
product to Comedy Central. RickMill makes money by renting a venue for
a day or two and producing specials for multiple comics on the same
stage with the same equipment (cheaper to produce that way, which
means more profit for all concerned).

So it basically boils down to HBO being the most selective, Showtime
going with the popular if not mainstream, and Comedy Central getting
more sub-pop and even alt. comics looking to increase their brand, if
you will.