On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 11:26 PM, Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In the behind-the-scenes of Lewis Black's most recent stand up
> special, he explains why the HBO cache of comedy is unique -- and why
> his most recent special (and Eddie Izzard's too, for that matter)
> wasn't on HBO. HBO will only accept comics who do not have shows on
> other networks or movies in production (Black had his "Root of All
> Evil" show and Izzard had his FX series). As a result, HBO gets comics
> dedicated (at least at that moment in their respective careers) to the
> craft of joke telling.
>
> I have a few Showtime comedy specials on DVD and (still) VHS (Tim
> Allen's early work, at least one of Richard Jeni's, and Bob Newhart
> around the time "Newhart" was on the air doing classic routines from
> his early years), but I recall (and it may just be my memory getting
> it wrong) that Showtime tended to get people who were over-saturated
> in mainstream media.
>
> In listening to Marc Maron's WTF podcast, I have learned that, with
> few exceptions, the comics themselves produce their own stand up
> specials (or pay to have them produced), then sell the finished
> product to Comedy Central. RickMill makes money by renting a venue for
> a day or two and producing specials for multiple comics on the same
> stage with the same equipment (cheaper to produce that way, which
> means more profit for all concerned).
>
> So it basically boils down to HBO being the most selective, Showtime
> going with the popular if not mainstream, and Comedy Central getting
> more sub-pop and even alt. comics looking to increase their brand, if
> you will.

I was intrigued by the Newhart Showtime Special. You were close on the era -
the wikis say "In 1995, 64 year old Newhart was approached by the Showtime
cable network to do his very first comedy special in his 35 year career. His
special *Off The Record* consisted of him doing material from his first and
second albums in front of a live audience in Pasedena (sic), California."
Newhart went off the air in 1990, so it was only five years after that
(though if the wikis can't spell Pasadena right, then maybe they are off on
their dates as well). I wonder if he did it at The Icehouse. I once lived in
an apartment about 5 blocks from there in the late 80s - if Newhart had been
playing there then I would found a way to be there.

If Bob Fuc*ing Newhart did a Showtime Comedy Special then I guess it can't
be too much of a weak sister to HBO. But your point makes sense - an HBO
special usually has high impact and is a real event.

I have heard Maron talking a bit about the Comedy Central specials, and the
do it yourself aspects are kind of interesting.