On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 12:57 AM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was intrigued by the Newhart Showtime Special. You were close on the era -
> the wikis say "In 1995, 64 year old Newhart was approached by the Showtime
> cable network to do his very first comedy special in his 35 year career. His
> special Off The Record consisted of him doing material from his first and
> second albums in front of a live audience in Pasedena (sic), California."
> Newhart went off the air in 1990, so it was only five years after that
> (though if the wikis can't spell Pasadena right, then maybe they are off on
> their dates as well). I wonder if he did it at The Icehouse. I once lived in
> an apartment about 5 blocks from there in the late 80s - if Newhart had been
> playing there then I would found a way to be there.
>
> If Bob Fuc*ing Newhart did a Showtime Comedy Special then I guess it can't
> be too much of a weak sister to HBO. But your point makes sense - an HBO
> special usually has high impact and is a real event.

I'd have to dig my DVD out of my packed suitcase to figure out where
it was taped. It was in a theater, but beyond that I cannot say. The
DVD is worth buying if you are a fan. It encapsulates a style of
comedy that doesn't come along everyday, that of the story-teller.
Newhart doesn't observe the comedy -- he creates it out of thin air.
He doesn't rely on attitude and he doesn't dress "cool." Steve Allen
remarked that modern comics look for applause and "woot-woot" sounds,
but classic comics look for laughs. Bob Newhart is a classic.