On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 6:43 AM, Adam Bowie <adam.bo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> That'll be Alexa Chung. She's done a load of TV over here - mostly on
>> Channel 4 - but not, to the best of my knowledge, any of that red carpet
>> stuff, which I suspect is harder than it looks. Yes, I know the questions
>> have to largely revolve around who designed your dress, but you do have to
>> identify second tier cast members of Glee and so on. Last year she had an
>> MTV show which I believe has been cancelled. A perfectly OK presenter (he
>> says, trying not to damn her with faint praise).
>>

> Thanks for that. "Perfectly OK" puts her at a level far above most of the
> people who do what she did last night, so I think she should be pleased with
> that. Forgive my ignorance - in Great Britain, is a "presenter" a news
> anchor (which is what I thought - but that doesn't quite seem to fit with
> her persona from last night)? Or does that just refer to any TV
> "personality"?

Nope. Definitely not a news presenter. Sorry - "presenter" is a catch-all
term meaning "host" as much as anything. She was on a show called Popworld -
basically linking videos, and interviewing bands - on Channel 4. I can't
think of a US equivalent, but it could have sat somewhere between MTV and E!
I guess. She also worked on lots of Channel 4 specials aimed at the youth
age group, usually based around music and sometimes films. She's done plenty
of those junket interviews in hotel suites, and most recently did a morning
show based around music. None of this stuff is done 100% seriously, and
there's always an element of humour involved.

>From what I can tell from Wikipedia, she's next to be seen presenting a PBS
programme called Thrift America. I know nothing of this!

Adam