http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ricky-gervais-breaks-silence-golden-72602
Ricky Gervais Breaks Silence on Golden Globes Hosting Controversy
7:48 PM 1/17/2011 by Lindsay Powers

Ricky Gervais says he didn't offend anyone at the Golden Globes.

"Everyone took it well and the atmosphere backstage and at the after
show was great," the host said in a statement.

Gervais also explained his mysterious disappearance in the middle of
the show, which caused rampant speculation he'd been fired by the
Hollywood Foreign Press Association.

"I did every single introduction I was meant to," he says. "There just
happened to be a long gap. This is because I was allowed to choose who
I would introduce in advance. I obviously chose presenters who I had
the best jokes for. (And who I knew had a good sense of humor)."

But the stars didn't seem to agree with Gervais' analysis of his
hosting performance.

After Gervais quipped that Robert Downey Jr. was best known for his
trips to the betty Ford Center, Downey Jr. said the show was "hugely
mean-spirited with mildly sinister undertones."

HFPA president Philip Berk said Gervais definitely crossed the line
after Gervais introduced him by saying, "I just had to help him off
the toilet and pop his teeth in."

"Some of the things he said were totally unacceptable," added Berk.

Admitted Gervais after the show: "I probably won't be here next year."

©2011 The Hollywood Reporter. All rights reserved.