On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Joe Hass <hassgoc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 11:24 AM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > The point here is not that nobody who believes most or all of the above
> can
> > be president of the USA ; the point is that while delivering these kinds
> of
> > red meat lines can get you a lot of attention from an extreme base, if
> you
> > want to run for president of the country you have to expect to be asked
> > about them, and find a way to make them palatable to the mainstream. You
> > can't just start crying and get your goons to get the president of Fox
> News
> > to write a memo to the mean man who asked you about it on TV to say he is
> > sorry (oh, wait, I guess you can).
>
> Last year Sharon Angle effectively refused to talk to anyone who
> wasn't on her approved media list, and nearly won. The catch, of
> course, is that was a state race versus a national one. Palin tried it
> after the Couric disaster, and it's impossible to determine what
> factor it played.
>
> That being said, may I remind everyone of two points:
> 1. We are still 498 days away from the US general elections.
> 2. IIRC, at this time in 2007, everyone thought we'd have a Rudy
> Giuliani/Hilary Clinton matchup.

If Michelle Bachmann is the Republican nominee for President in 2012, and
Barak Obama is not the Democratic nominee, then we will really have a
surprise. But neither of those conditional hypotheticals will occur.

My post was less about Bachmann or Fox News, and more about Chris Wallace,
who has tried to portray himself as a credible journalist whose sense of
professionalism and fair play required him to leave the liberal mainstream
news operations for Fox (simultaneously trying to parlay this supposed
credibility into a legitimation of the Fox News operation). This was the
context of his (losing) joust with Stewart. His leg spreading to Bachmann
shows how thin that lie really is.