On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 23:52, Terry Knab <te...@knab.org> wrote:
> Try living in tornado alley and considering radio dead.  Far from it.  You
> can't find out what's going on in a tornado zone on XM/Sirius or Pandora.
> Not gonna happen.

Depends on the quality of your local radio station. On the Sunday of
Labor Day weekend last year, there were at least four major wildfires
within 20 miles of downtown Austin, all in populated areas, including
one that was at least partially within the city limits. In the 2-hour
drive home from the event I had been at, there were precisely four
stations on which I heard any reference to the situation whatsoever.
(Our NPR affiliate, a news-talk AM station, an automated station that
was parroting the EAS activations being sent out by weather radio, and
one DJ that mentioned the major road closures without explaining why
the roads were closed.)

The TV stations got some public criticism for doing crawls and
occasional cut-ins rather than wall to wall coverage and someone at
one of the stations pretty much admitted that they don't have enough
money to afford a big enough staff to simultaneously gather news and
produce a live news broadcast on a Sunday afternoon.
--
David J. Lynch
djly...@gmail.com