From: tvornottv@googlegroups.com [mailto:tvornottv@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of Kevin M.
Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:46 PM
To: tvornottv@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [TV orNotTV] Seacrest Gets 'Today' Gig, Matt Still Host

I agree with virtually everything Terry stated, except the part about radio
serving a purpose. I've been cruising around in my free Chevy Volt all
weekend which came with XM. The car I bought used last year came with XM but
the subscription lapsed and it is an expense I can't justify. But having it
again reminds me exactly how dead terrestrial radio is, and Seacrest is a
prime example of why.

I think it was Pgage who said Seacrest does what he does fairly well, and I
do not disagree. However, what he does is offer bland, unchallenging,
uninspired drivel to the masses. Radio stations should have niche audiences
(just as TV should) -- there should be pop stations, but also oldies,
country, blues, jazz, classical, rock, punk, and on and on. Admittedly not
all formats make as much money as others, but there is money to be made from
every genre if done right.

Los Angeles, the number 2 market in radio, has no country station, yet
Stagecoach -- one of the nation's largest country festivals -- is taking
place in Southern California this weekend. That defies common sense (and I'm
saying this while not a huge fan of country). Last year I lamented the
firing of Jim Ladd from KLOS, whose show was consistently blowing away
everyone else in his timeslot -- that was an example of a known, time-tested
money-maker who was replaced by a ratings-killing computer, which is as
backwards a revenue generating strategy as I've ever witnessed.

Seacrest is the peak of the mountain of media banality. Radio is dead.
TV networks as we know them are not too far behind. Seacrest is riding the
wave of the last days of broadcast pablum. He is the final glass teat upon
which our nation has been suckling. As such, he belongs on The Today Show,
and American Idol, and the E! network, as all of these things champion
mediocrity.