Steve Williams <skill...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I was reading an interview
> with Terry Wogan from his spell as host as he said he loved it when nobody
> scored any points or won anything because he felt that was really the ethos
> of how they approached the game in the UK, just half an hour of idle fun,
> comparing it to The Match Game. He said that if the prizes were actually any
> good (which famously they weren't due to the Beeb not wanting to spend
> licence-payer's money on them) they'd all have to concentrate, which
> wouldn't be right. I think that's always been the way.

For me, that's always been one of the great things about the original
"What's My Line?" The game was for such low stakes (that invariable
$50 cap is still only about $450 in current dollars, a nice prize but
not life-changing) that everybody could have fun without worrying
about the money.

--
Ed Dravecky III
http://www.fencon.org/