The one thing that really rubbed me the wrong way about being at the taping
of The Late Show is the rather adamant insistance that you laugh at
everything. Seriously: they have an Alec Baldwin video at the start that
basically says the audience should laugh at anything they think might be
funny. I understand why they do that, but the problem with laying that at
the start is that you wind up getting these moments where Dave's trying to
be serious, and the audience keeps making nervous chuckles because they've
been trained to believe that they should laugh at anything that even looks
like it might be funny. That kept happening during Dave's interview of
Lindsey last night, and I kept wanting to reach through time and tell the
folks in the audience to shut the hell up.

Interestingly, the only reason I knew Lindsey Lohan was going to be on
Letterman was a promo during the NCAA Basketball Championship Game on
Monday night, and the only reason I was watching that was because I was
hosting trivia at a bar and had to work around the game. For some reason, I
remembered that this afternoon and went to look for the video.

It was a surprisingly powerful interview. Letterman knew he could've gone
in a certain direction (and had the ammo right there at the desk). The file
photo of Lohan on the old show as "Things Found On The D Train" was great.
I think he liked the fact that Lohan refused to go into detail on the rehab
issue despite him going back to that well a couple times, and he decided to
change tacks, which caught Lohan off-guard. The more honest he became, the
more she seemed to drop her guard. When he complemented her about showing
up despite being how much he'd serve up on her, the audience's sustained
applause went on for a good 15 seconds until Dave (quite irritated), told
the audience, "Alright, alright! That's enough!"

These were two flawed people, and Letterman decided he was going to go
ahead and peel back a little more than he normally would (the reference to
psychiatry, which was followed by Dave grinning into the camera, was rather
amusing). Which made the whole thing just a little more special. It
reminded me of when Teri Garr was on the show, and he came over to help
her, and you just saw a different Dave: the one that made most of us fall
for him.

The one question I have: I wonder how the decision to not have her come out
with a price tag on her dress went down, since Dave lit up like a kid on
Christmas when she told him. Did the staff really run out of time and
weren't able to get to Letterman in time, or did they decide not to? I
remember reading about Penn & Teller's appearances on Late Night a few
years back and how Letterman told Robert Morton that he didn't want to know
what they were going to do, only that they had his permission to do
anything.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEF53jCmL3c