On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Dave Sikula <dsik...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> If I may be the voice of negativity, I'd like to say I thought the whole
> thing was a train wreck.
>
> I'll stipulate both that CBS and WWP are in business to draw viewers and
> make money and that Lohan has no obligation to air her problems publicly.
>
> That said, what was the point of this booking, other than to let America
> gawp at the junkie? Lohan was a moderately-talented teen actor who has
> fallen victim to myriad demons. If she was unprepared to talk about her
> problems (and let me repeat there was no necessity to do so), what did she
> think she was there for? To promote that pile-of-steaming-crap movie? If
> Dave wanted to help her, he was out of his depth, as more-skilled
> professionals than he have failed, numerous times.
>
> I truly feel sorry for Lohan, and think she'd be best served by getting
> out of show business and trying to put her life together. The panel last
> night did nothing in that direction. I basically ignored it and thought
> twenty minutes of dead air would have been more enlightening.

Well, lets define our terms a little bit here. I don't think anyone is
really suggesting that Dave can, or was even trying, to help her in some
mental health sense. They joked about him sounding like Dr. Phil, but it
was, after all, just a joke. What I mean by him helping her, and I think
that is what others have meant to, is in renewing her public image or
persona. He could have ridiculed her and blown her out of the water - and
if she had acted a bit differently than she did, I might have felt like she
deserved it. Instead he helped her address the issue more than she seemed
to want to, engage in some moments that approached honesty, and
then acknowledged for having the guts to show up knowing that she has been
the butt of many of his jokes, knowing that he would probably be persistant
in bringing up her difficulties, and hanging in there with him. And he gave
her what amounted to fatherly advice (which she basically asked him for) -
that the best revenge she could get against the people who really wish her
ill is to get better and live well. She is an actress (I don't know how
good she is), so maybe her tears were fake, but I thought it was
understated enough that if Dave had not drawn attention to it many would
not have noticed, so that made me think they were genuine.

Anyone who thinks a person can solve their substance abuse or mental health
problems by talking to someone for 30 minutes on a television program has
no idea what is involved in dealing with such issues, so I think that is
not even on the table here. But before last night's show I would have put
Lohan somewhere at the Khardasian/Paris Hilton end of the scale, and now I
would move her up several notches.