On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Dave Sikula <dsik...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If I may be the voice of negativity, I'd like to say I thought the whole
> thing was a train wreck.

Hey, I'm the only voice of negativity around here, mugsy.

To me, the interview achieved what it needed to for Lohan. It allowed
her to appear more human. My guess is that it achieved some ratings
for Letterman, which was all CBS is interested in. So, yeah, I agree
the booking was because America wanted to see the ape-woman emerge
from the jungle, but it turned out her negative hype was -- at least
in this instance -- merely hype. Once there, I think Letterman could
have said/done anything as others suggested, but he opted not to be
mean and not to ignore the elephant(s) in the room. I have been
critical of Dave phoning it in more often than not, but I do think he
was conscious during this interview. He wasn't Oprah (thank God) or Dr
Phil (thank merciful God), but he wasn't supposed to be either. He was
a guy who had two segments with a girl who is on a road, so he tossed
in some funny and tossed in some weighty, and basically just sat back
and let her say what she wanted to say. I mean, imagine if Lindsay WAS
as far gone as, say Michelle Shocked, or even Charlie Sheen at the
height of his insanity. She could have hung herself on that stage, but
she didn't. It might not be one for Dave's career retrospective, but
it was head-and-shoulders above the waste of time and oxygen that
occurred when he interviewed the Kardashian girls a few weeks back (I
don't think rehab would treat them... you can't cure stupid).