On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 9:34:32 AM UTC-4, Adam Bowie wrote:

> I must admit that I'd get much more excited about a period Marlowe set in
> LA of the thirties or forties. Yes it'd be much more expensive, but it
> could look gorgeous. 13 episodes rather than 24 as a limited series. I
> guess only premium cable tries period dramas properly these days.
>
> Indeed go nuts - shoot it in black and white! What was the last TV series
> shot that way? There's the odd episode here and there - and I'm thinking
> back to Moonlighting. Or how about putting a black and white version on
> your website or in a Saturday re-run?

BBC Radio did a series two years ago called "Classic Chandler,"
adapatations of the eight Marlowe novels (including "Poodle Springs") with
Toby Stephens as Marlowe. I listened to them, and while the shows were well
done... man, Chandler had some awfully weird, convoluted plots. And hearing
them one after another, those plotlines seemed awfully repetitive. I think
people enjoy the novels more for the language, the Marlowe character, and
the period atmosphere than for the stories. So the writers of the new
series really have their work cut out for them.

What I'd really love to see a version of "The Lady in the Lake" that gets
it right. Ditto for "The Long Goodbye," although people will be debating
that movie forever - I like it for what it is, but what it is isn't
Chandler. But to get the original stories right, yes, you'd have to set it
back in the forties.

Paging Ellery Queen!

-Tim