On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM, PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM, Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM, Bob in Jersey <bob.in.jer...@juno.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Andrew, cocreator of *Castle*, teams with that show's writer (also his
>>> wife) Terri Edda Miller and Oscar-winning director Michael DeLuca to bring
>>> back legendary gumshoe Philip, not seen in the US since an HBO version in
>>> the 1980s...
>>>

>> HBO's movie adaptation of Poodle Springs was in 1998, so the character
>> was last seen 15 years ago.
>>

> I think I have read all of the Spenser novels, and liked most of them
> pretty much. But I am a huge Chandler fan. IMO Spenser is maybe a 7 on the
> Chandler scale, and Poodle Springs, while a fun exercise, is a pale
> reflection of the master.

Parker said as much himself, both of Poodle Springs and of the follow-up
novel to The Big Sleep where the Chandler estate allowed Parker to complete
Chandler's unfinished novel. The characters and the authors who created
them come from different eras and very different sensibilities. That they
are both detectives is not enough to make them the same. Marlowe's world is
more violent with a more flexible sense of morality. Spenser evolved in the
time of women's lib, and he had a rock-solid moral code.

I agree with those who said Marlowe ought not be set in the present day,
but I'd like to see a modern attempt at reviving the character. Unlike
Spenser or Mike Hammer, so many played Marlowe over the last 60 years that
no single actor typifies the character. Spenser IS Robert Urich and Hammer
IS Stacy Keach, so I'd fight any attempts to place someone new in those
roles (as A&E tried with Spenser a few years back).