On Fri, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Adam Bowie <a...@adambowie.co.uk> wrote:

> I'd never imagine that having a common language would necessitate a single
> perspective on anything. That said, it's been pretty clear in recent
> presidential elections that Latino voters are overwhelmingly Democrat.
>
> http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/11/07/latino-voters-in-the-2012-election/
>
> From what I've read, as a voting constituency, they grow ever more
> important.

The trend of Hispanics toward the Democratic Party is recent. within the
last 10 years or so. Before that they were considered reliably Republican
because of high Catholic Church membership and following the church on
social policy. Demographically the Republicans are becoming less popular
among those who are not middle aged or elderly white males.

> And while Trump may play well in New Hampshire, it's not exactly full of
> hispanic voters (3.2% according to census.gov).
>
> So while I appreciate that Cubans in Florida are very different to
> Mexicans in California, my point is that as business decision, a network
> would think very carefully before signing on for a TV special affiliated
> with a man who's not in its audience's natural constituency at the best of
> times, and is currently somewhat toxic in terms of racial stereotyping.

The problem is that the contract was already signed before Trump shot his
mouth off. And if he says the same things without being a presidential
candidate maybe it goes under the radar.