So, the subject header here is somewhat misleading. They are not removing
it, they are taking it down until they can replace it with a version that
is not censored or bowdlerized, but includes critical commentary and
historical context. See WaPo piece linked below.

I think this is appropriate and long overdue. I grew up watching GWTW and
Birth of a Nation. Both films have value, both in terms of the craft of
film making and as artifacts of their prior in social history. Neither
should be censored, and I have argued against doing that over and over with
my liberal friends. But neither should they just be released to free range
in the culture, shaping assumptions and attitudes uncritically. Nobody will
be forced to view the new material, but everybody will have it available as
the default option.

I agree with the comment that many corporations are engaging in shallow
performative and ultimately meaningless gestures of support for BLM. I
don’t think this is an example of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/hbo-max-isnt-censoring-gone-with-the-wind-its-reframing-it/2020/06/10/d78544ec-ab3e-11ea-94d2-d7bc43b26bf9_story.html

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 11:14 AM 'Bob Jersey' via TVorNotTV <
tvornottv@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Moi, this morning (6/10):
>>
>> Temporarily, the streamer told Variety, until a discussion about its
>> historical context and a denouncement of its biased depictions can be
>> offered with it.
>>

>> https://variety.com/2020/film/news/hbo-max-gone-with-the-wind-removed-1234629892/
>> (link)
>>

>> Thank this op-ed in the LAT (possible $) by Oscar®-winning screenwriter
> John Ridley for WM's decision...
>

> https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2020-06-08/hbo-max-racism-gone-with-the-wind-movie
> (link)

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/bfafe532-719f-45c2-b078-abc8749e0c50o%40googlegroups.com