Early this morning CNN’s Matthew Chance did get out and about, and had a
riveting video report on the aftermath for a Russian column that had been
repulsed from an advance on the Capital over a bridge. He showed tanks and
trucks and armored vehicles completely destroyed (by those American
Javelins Trump tried to use to extort fake dirt on the Bidens 3 years
ago?). He alluded to dead Russian bodies he did not want to show, then
(inadvertently I am prepared to believe) did come up on a dead Russian that
was shown briefly, and now I have seen the piece rerun at least once, so I
guess that did not violate CNN policy too much. The piece also showed him
crouching down, then realizing he was inches from an unexploded grenade and
moving away with deliberate speed.

It was pretty valid news, and very good TV. I’m sure CNN will repeat it if
ten throughout today.

I admit to not having a good understanding of what a streaming-dominant
television world will look like. I am not sure how linear news divisions
could be maintained without a critical sized audience. aBC can always have
talking heads and broadcast video it gets from others, but whatever vestige
remains of an actual news gathering operation could not be maintained if it
only had sizable numbers of viewers during intermediate crises. Maybe
streaming networks will be able to support real news divisions in the
future, but my experience with Netflix like operations has not included
many live programs. Lives sporting events is the exception, but those are
set pieces, relatively passive. Will a day come when one of the options on
Amazon or Netflix or Disney is a live Newscast?

Adam’s point about the need for a “filter” is precisely what I have been
trying to say. I too have spent a lot of time clicking on Twitter IDs  and
then trying to research the credibility of the source. Consumers of News
should not have to function as producers and editors and fact checkers. It
reminds me of my experience at work, with patients coming in having
diagnosed themselves and created their own treatment plans from cursory
Google searches. If my use of the internet to get information about
breaking news events is as accurate as what my patients bring to me about
their own mental health, we are in big trouble. Plus, I find that the more
a conclusion is the result of one’s own internet searching, the more
stubborn one is to hang on to them, even in the face of contradictory
expert judgement. Indeed, the whole culture and spirit of the Internet
seems to be aimed at freeing people from the tyranny if “experts” - aka
people who know what the hell they are talking about. We have seen the
harvest if this approach in Vaccine denial.

Sent from Gmail Mobile