On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 1:47 PM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote
.

> What would happen if there were no more “linear” television outlets on
> stories like these? I read the papers often during the day, and the AP, and
> Twitter, but there would be a huge hole without television news
> organizations with ongoing assets in the field. Will Amazon or Hulu be
> doing that down the road? I guess I will have to get CNN+

Really? A huge hole? What context are TV news providing? What, other than
the instantaneous visuals of explosions, are they contributing to the
story? I’m unaware of any experts on Ukraine employed by CNN or MSNBC… they
might exist, but I can’t imagine they prepared for this eventuality, even
though Putin has been preparing for this for more than a decade so they had
plenty of time to develop sources and establish solid connections to the
region.

I haven’t watched any TV coverage, and I don’t feel I’m missing out. I have
friends in the area, so I can see any immediate events on social media. For
context there are stories from AP and BBC. Both NPR and MarketPlace have
done a decent job explaining the impact of war in the region on US economy
and life. I fail to see any advantage in whatever CNN or MSNBC might be
bloviating about.

I’m taking this war personally. I was in Kazakhstan 20 years ago when Putin
murdered a school full of men, women, and children in Beslan. And I watched
when he attacked Crimea. And Georgia. He’s patient and methodical, and the
so called international community has let him get away with this crap over
and over again. The US isn’t a moral leader anymore, and we’re on the cusp
of ceasing to be a superpower, but we could still be acting against Putin
with more than economic sanctions. As could a dozen other nations.

Putin won’t stop until he’s forcibly removed from office or assassinated.
That’s the reality. Even if he’s convinced to stop attacking Ukraine, he
will shift targets or wait until we are distracted and strike again. The TV
news media is too dumbed down and too political to cover this situation
with any degree of quality or depth.