While there is something to your critique, I think it is overly harsh. I
have seen several recognized experts on both Russia and Ukraine interviewed
many times, providing both general context but also targeted context and
analysis if minute by minute events. They have interviewed Ukrainians
getting out, and those staying. They have video, and interviews, with
officials from surrounding nations, NATO, and the EU. Yes, I have seen much
of this online as well, but television news has, during my lifetime, been
an import supplement to print journalism, and institutional, legacy media
are an essential counterweight to much of the freelance reporting one sees
on Social Media, which has less concern with its reputation and
credibility.

I’m not saying we would be blind without linear television news, but there
would be a hole.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2022 at 5:54 PM Kevin M. <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2022 at 1:47 PM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote

>> What would happen if there were no more “linear” television outlets on
>> stories like these? I read the papers often during the day, and the AP, and
>> Twitter, but there would be a huge hole without television news
>> organizations with ongoing assets in the field. Will Amazon or Hulu be
>> doing that down the road? I guess I will have to get CNN+
>>

> Really? A huge hole? What context are TV news providing? What, other than
> the instantaneous visuals of explosions, are they contributing to the
> story? I’m unaware of any experts on Ukraine employed by CNN or MSNBC… they
> might exist, but I can’t imagine they prepared for this eventuality, even
> though Putin has been preparing for this for more than a decade so they had
> plenty of time to develop sources and establish solid connections to the
> region.
>
> I haven’t watched any TV coverage, and I don’t feel I’m missing out. I
> have friends in the area, so I can see any immediate events on social
> media. For context there are stories from AP and BBC. Both NPR and
> MarketPlace have done a decent job explaining the impact of war in the
> region on US economy and life. I fail to see any advantage in whatever CNN
> or MSNBC might be bloviating about.
>
> I’m taking this war personally. I was in Kazakhstan 20 years ago when
> Putin murdered a school full of men, women, and children in Beslan. And I
> watched when he attacked Crimea. And Georgia. He’s patient and methodical,
> and the so called international community has let him get away with this
> crap over and over again. The US isn’t a moral leader anymore, and we’re on
> the cusp of ceasing to be a superpower, but we could still be acting
> against Putin with more than economic sanctions. As could a dozen other
> nations.
>
> Putin won’t stop until he’s forcibly removed from office or assassinated.
> That’s the reality. Even if he’s convinced to stop attacking Ukraine, he
> will shift targets or wait until we are distracted and strike again. The TV
> news media is too dumbed down and too political to cover this situation
> with any degree of quality or depth.
>

> --
>> Sent from Gmail Mobile

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tvornottv/CAKGtkYK7D6hT7SF-BOS%3DS233RxsL1BNG4OfO75UA1YqqpXS7dQ%40mail.gmail.com