They did talk about those two points: one factor in the decision to award
Amy, Matt, and Mattea byes is they all went on historic runs. In a normal
season the top players might have gone on a 10 game run and it might seem
less fair to give them a bye over a 9 game winner.

For the concerns about a losing buzzer agility without practice, Davies
mentioned the possibility of the three of them playing a practice game
which they could stream or find some other way to distribute. Buzzy Cohen
was a guest and he said Ken Jennings never played in a ToC (and the two did
some good natured trash talking about it on Twitter). Jennings played in
the Ultimate Tournament and got a bye into the final. Davies said he asked
Ken if he thought the bye would be a disadvantage and Ken said he saw both
sides of the situation.