Let's say that after a user "allows" and Twitter grants an access
token which I persist my app's db, what is the best design to
authenicate this user and match them to the stored token?

If I use a browser cookie (hopefully not with the value of the user's
Twitter User Id which is public, lol) and this cookie is hijacked by a
third-party (let's say no SSL or I allow javascript to read the
cookie), isn't this hacker now authorized by Twitter with my
application knowing the difference since they aren't forced to login
and the access token doesn't expire?

This seems a little insecure. Is anyone taking the time to identify
their apps users by a custom expiring token? Maybe I don't understand
Oauth enough.