You could encrypt/decrypt the token in a cookie.  You certainly wouldn't
want to store it in plain-text.

Or, in your database, have username, password, and access token.  The user
enters their username and password to authenticate to you that they are that
user.

The "more secure" part of OAuth is that you aren't passing their credentials
across the internet.