I will come straight to the point: we need to an increase to the API
limit to properly implement Twitter within a desktop client
application given the addition of: 1) three retweets timelines; 2)
checking the account's saved searches; and 3) up to 10-20 Twitter
Lists timelines.

Twitter Lists alone are causing real problems if a user follows more
than 5 or so. We cant poll Twitter List subscriptions with one API
call that combines them altogether, which we could then split apart
client-side with some attached meta-data. That alone would have been a
big help, and without it we are left polling each List as if it was a
separate timeline, since that is what they are.

Implementing proper Lists management is a non-starter within this
limit, so is regular confirmation of a relationship between two users
when asked for by the user (on Lists or search results). There is
simply a lot of stuff I cannot do properly that is standard on
twitter.com, all because I am subject to the API limit while
twitter.com is not. Users simply do not understand this distinction in
possibilities.

I would like to formally ask on behalf of all client developers that
the API limit increase to 250, from 150, for all applications whether
they use OAuth or HTTP Basic Authentication. We are simply not able to
implement Twitter properly within a limit of 150, but dont need a lot
more, only another 100-200 API calls or so.

If Twitter can even technically contemplate a 10x API limit increase
to 1,500 for OAuth applications, surely an increase to 250 based on
the addition of core features like official retweets and Lists is a
reasonable request. A limit of 150 is simply obsolete, and has been
for a long time.

I do not want to wait for the UX repairs around OAuth for desktop
applications, and I dont like being forced into OAuth sooner than we
are ready just because we need the extra API hits just to do basic
features properly. And besides, that was announced as two weeks away
three weeks ago. I dont want to wait any longer. I want to properly
implement the basics, like Lists polling, now.

This is a considered email because I care about the quality of our
Twitter implementation and I care about the Twitter ecosystem. I would
appreciate a considered reply.

--ejw

Eric Woodward
Email: e...@nambu.com