Yeah an increase in API requests would be nice to have with the
addition of new API features.
I would almost like a solution where twitter sets a "guaranteed"
hits/hour soft limit.
By soft limit I mean if you go above this limit you "may" be rate
limited if the twitter cluster
is currently under heavy load or you are being too rough with the API.
If the cluster has unused capacity,
why start limiting users? For non-whitelisted applications a guarantee
of 250 would be nice. Whiltelisted apps
would get a higher guaranteed limit still to meet their demands.

I'm sure twitter has floated this idea around. Not sure how big of a
technical hurdle it would be to implement.
Just my two cents on the subject of API rate limits.

Josh