On top of all that, AFAIK the 1500 limit for OAuth is still vaporware
at this point, so everybody is capped at 150.

To inform the discussion, I wonder if Twitter could share any figures
like what's the actual API use distribution? Like what combination of
users/apps hit the cap regularly and cause massive load? If it was an
equal distribution (i.e most users/apps are around the same level)
that gives them heavy load, then I would see why they need to be
careful about raising limits (any increase would bring more fail
whales). But I suspect that it's highly asymmetrical... i.e there are
very few users/apps who actually cause any meaningful load.

Another hunch: desktop apps are negligible and the real load comes
from web apps who spider asynchronously 24/7. Should the load be
differentiated across client and web apps? Client apps are typically
only one user per device at a time, whereas the web app may be
spidering on behalf of who knows how many people.