My oh my, what discussion about advocacy and what not. I think Taylor,
Raffi and everybody else from Twitter are doing a great job here and
everyone is eager to learn and they know they have ways to go. Let's
not get mean.

I'm with those who say injecting popular searches into the search API
results by Twitter still doesn't entirely make sense, given the way
the rollout/communication is handled. Here is the problem/conversation
in a nutshell:

Twitter: "We are going to inject popular search results into the
search API results, changing previous behavior that just returned
recent results."
Developers: "Wait a sec, this is a bad idea because of A, B and C.
Maybe you can version the API better or some such."
... time passes, nothing happens ...
Twitter: "Hi, we're starting to roll this out now."

I don't particularly care for the popular results either way and I
trust Twitter that it is good for users in the grand scheme of things,
but the API behavior change is disturbing. It would be great to work
against a fixed API target so that those who want search to work in a
particular way can just work against a given API version, but with
search, this is not an option, you only have one endpoint that's in
this kind of flux.

What I'm saying is Twitter as a company could just earn more developer
street cred and respect here by handling this in a more graceful way.
There comes a point in time where the "moving parts" argument as an
excuse to not follow good API practices gets somewhat old.

rgds,
Jaanus