On 04/12/2010 04:44 PM, Orian Marx (@orian) wrote:
> I seem to remember some debate over how uberTwitter comes out with
> such a large share in that analysis, but either way everything I have
> seen has pointed to 40% of tweets posted coming from Twitter.com. In
> my mind it would be smart for people to think about how to get market
> share from that piece of the pie.
>
> I'm not sure I see a significant distinction between Twitter-only
> clients and clients that aggregate other services in terms of whether
> or not they are in competition with each other.

The distinction isn't really Twitter-only vs. Twitter-plus. I probably
shouldn't have "segmented the market" that way. If you subtract out
desktop Twitter.com via a browser, the market segments are

* "social media CRM tools", into which class I put HootSuite, CoTweet,
and Salesforce.com and SugarCRM with social media access plugins.
They're distinguished by accessing multiple services, "call tracking",
integration with email and analytics, scheduling of tweets, "campaign
management", etc.

* mobile Twitter clients, where uberTwitter and Twitter for iPhone
reside, and I think mobile.twitter.com. People just talking to Twitter
on a mobile device.

After I get back from Chirp, I'll probably look over Fred Wilson's
categories of Twitter applications again, because I'm not sure exactly
how he's segmented the market, and I think I'll have a different take
once I understand his.

In any event, the social CRM tool market segment is one that so far has
been fairly well served IMHO by third parties, and mostly because
they've recognized that they need to work with all the platforms -
render unto Twitter that which is Twitter's, render unto Facebook and
LinkedIn, etc.

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky
borasky-research.net/m-edward-ed-borasky

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." ~ Paul Erdős