The more I think about this situation, the less I like it.

At first I was happy that the service I work on was not banned by this
ToS change. Even though we use twitter data for monetisation, we don't
insert data into timelines.

However, when I look at the services that have now been banned, I
can't see any warning signs other than that they were competing with
Twitter for monetising their data. This is what my service does. Even
though it's not currently banned, doesn't it make sense to abandon
development now? The best I can hope for it that it *isn't* wildly
successful, so Twitter doesn't consider it competition...

Every time I read Twitter's explanation for the situation, it reads as
"we know our monetisation strategy can't compete with third parties in
the short term, so we're banning all competition". Hardly conducive to
fostering the best solutions, particularly when Twitter will always
have the upper hand with their "official" monetisation platform and
analytics for resonance, anyway. What's even worse is the the new ToS
is *still* completely ambiguous. Until I saw Peter's post here I had
no idea that the ban was only in the publishing end, not insertion.

Of course all this makes sense from Twitter's perspective, but for
third parties... that just leaves us on an ever changing playing field
with invisible goals. I could have lived with rules and rev share
additions, but completely banning competition... not so much.

Concerned.

James

PS what's the point of this paragraph from the blog post? "We
understand that for a few of these companies, the new Terms of Service
prohibit activities in which they’ve invested time and money. We will
continue to move as quickly as we can to deliver the Annotations
capability to the market so that developers everywhere can create
innovative new business solutions on the growing Twitter platform." a
slap in the face? We understand that we've wasted your time and money,
so here's the next thing for you to waste time and money on. No
guarantees, no apologies.