Damon,

with all due respect and in all politeness, have you even read what
this thread is about?

Do you really think an xAuth application - that knows the users full
credentials - is getting more secure without the right to access
direct messages? I mean ... really ;-)

We both do not know why Twitter tries to introduce this change. I have
a feeling what it is about, but it's definitely not about user privacy
or security if it comes to xAuth applications.

OAuth apps, granted, different story and I could live with that
change. But as I am not using OAuth, I leave it to the developers
affected to voice their concerns. They should know better.

For me, who needs to have xAuth access to provide my users access to
Twitter - actually to provide it to the Symbian platform ( biggest
smartphone OS worldwide, 2010 ... ) - these changes are not good.

And my users do think the same.

Most of my users love Twitter and I try to provide a client that makes
them use Twitter a lot - because I love Twitter, too ( well, better to
say, I am addicted to Twitter. )

I just don't see any reason why this privacy related change couldn't
be implemented in a way which does NOT break so many applications.

We are also talking about preloaded mobile apps here - apps that
cannot be changed quickly - or cannot be changed at all.

My planned work-around for this xAuth change ( I still hope it is
being reverted! ) will include running a Twitter service for
authentication. That way, I would have access to my users' OAuth
tokens. I don't like that. It imposes a great risk to me and my
servers being hacked. So far, I do not know nothing about my users via
my Twitter client. No password, no credentials. I like it that way.
More secure for my users.

As for Linux, yes, we all know Linux is way more secure. That's why
companies like Sony and Gawker are running their services on top of
Linux servers ... okay, forget about that one ;-)

Cheers & please don't feel offended,
Ole ( @janole / @gravityapp )