Users do not need protection from their personal mobile Twitter
clients any more than they do from their browsers.  It's their app
running on their device accessing their account at their direction.
Requiring separate authentication for DMs for a mobile client app is
like requiring separate cars keys for ignition, gas pedal, and
breaks.  Millions of mobile Twitter users are going to get really
ticked off when they can no longer use their favorite apps.  So let's
be honest.  When it comes to Twitter mobile clients, this isn't about
user security.  It's about pruning client competition from the market.

Ron